10:29 20.07.2016(updated 11:44 20.07.2016)
Turkey’s Presidency of Telecommunication and Communication (TIB) confirmed to RIA Novosti on Wednesday the blocking of the WikiLeaks investigative website following its publication of nearly 300,000 ruling party emails.
ANKARA (Sputnik) –Earlier on Wednesday the whisleblowing organization sain via Twitter the the Turkish authorities have ordered a nationalwide blocking of the Wikileaks website.
“Administrative measures have been taken with regard to the WikiLeaks website,” an official with the TIB, part of Turkey’s Information and Communication Technologies Authority (BTK), said.
The Turkish citizens deprived of the access to the website can use a proxy or any of its IPs, Wikileaks said.
On Tuesday, WikiLeaks said it had suffered a “sustained attack” over the announcement of publication of documents of Turkey’s political power structure and the country’s leadership.
“Erdogan government officially orders WikiLeaks to be blocked after publishing 300k emails from his party, AKP,” WikiLeaks said via Twitter.
The massive data leak comes days after the failed coup against Erdogan. Thousands of judiciary and senior civil service members have been removed from office in Turkey and thousands of military personnel were arrested following the attempt to overthrow the government.
Late on Friday, the Turkish authorities said that an attempted coup was taking place in the country. The coup attempt was suppressed by early Saturday. Turkish authorities have already sacked thousands of people across the country, including members of the armed forces, governors, military advisers, prosecutors, intelligence officers and judges.
The Turkish government has accused US-based Muslim cleric Muhammed Fethullah Gulen of having played a key role in the coup.
Almost 300 people were killed and more than 1,400 wounded during the failed coup which saw warplanes fire on key government installations and tanks rolling into Ankara and Istanbul.